MITA - Industry Certifications

Last Updated: 1/26/2021 10:04 PM


Merrillville High School is proud to be one of the selected MITA Pilot schools in the state of Indiana for the 2014-2015 year and a 2nd year member in 2015-2016.  

As part of the CTE (Career & Technical Education) curriculum, MOS and MTA certifications will be offered to high school students to help them achieve an "edge" in the competitive work world after high school graduation.   


Q.  What are certifications?

 A.  Certifications are assurances (proof) that you know what you're doing.  You, seeking a job, will be able to show the potential employer that you already know the material or have the skills that the employer needs.  This means the employer won't have to spend a lot of time training you.  You will be work force ready.


Q.  What types of certifications can I get?

 A.  Currently, MHS offers MOS certification at three (3) levels with the opportunity to compete in national and global competition. We will also offer a very limited amount of MTA certifications for students enrolled in Computer Programming I and II and Interactive Media.


Q.  What is MOS?

A.  MOS is Microsoft Office Specialist or someone who is very skilled in: 

  • Word
  • Excel
  • Access
  • Powerpoint
  • OneNote and
  • SharePoint 

A certification in any or all of these applications proves you have the ability to use Office for on-the-job needs.  It is a very valuable distinction to help you enter higher level jobs.


Q.  What is MTA?

 A.  MTA is Microsoft Technology Associate, someone who has basic technology understanding in software development and information technology.  The areas of technology knowledge are: 

  • Software Development
  • HTML 5 App Development
  • Networking
  • Mobility & Devices
  • Cloud and
  • Database fundamentals 

Having an MTA certification can give you a strong base to a future in software development or being an IT Professional.


Q.  What are the three (3) levels?

A.  The first level of certification is called SPECIALIST.  The Specialist certifications include:

  • Word 2010 or 2013
  • Excel 2010 or 2013
  • PowerPoint 2010 or 2013 

After you have successfully completed a Specialist level in any or all of these, you can test to be an EXPERT.

  • Word 2010 or 2013
  • Excel 2010 or 2013

After you have achieved an EXPERT certification, you may move up to the MASTER LEVEL.

  • PowerPoint 2010 or 2013
  • Word 2013
  • Excel 2013


Q.  How do I register in MITA at MHS?

A.  Complete this form and bring to Mrs. Daniels in Guidance.  She will see that your mentor teacher will take it from there. 


Q.  How do I prepare for the certification exams?

A.  Taking computer classes such as Digital Applications & Responsibility, Interactive Media and Computer Programming I & II classes will give you the basic knowledge and experience you'll need.  If you're not in a computer or tech course this semester, arrangements can be made for you to be successful outside of school online.


Q.  How do I take a certification exam?

A.  The tests are all taken online at school with a proctor.  Indicate your desire to one of your Business/CTE teachers and they will work with you to ensure you have the knowledge and get properly registered.  

These certification exams are all taken on site at Merrillville High School and they will cost you absolutely nothing - totally free! 


Q.  How do I get more information on these certifications?

A.  Contact one of your Business and/or CTE teachers:  Mr. Niksich, Mr. Clark, Mrs. Dixon or Mr. Trivette, talk to Mrs. Daniels in Guidance or see one of your Guidance counselors. 

© 2023 Merrillville Community School Corporation. All Rights Reserved