ADVANCED PLACEMENT (AP) CLASSES
AP Courses are not mandatory so why should you take them?
- They are challenging and prepare you for college-level classes.
- Many colleges give greater weight to these classes in figuring your GPA (grade point average).
- Some colleges will give you college credit if you earn a strong score on the AP test.
- You may be able to bypass college-level introductory courses because your AP class already gave you the knowledge.
The AP tests are administered at the end of the school year. The grades go from 1-5. A "5" is the best score and colleges love to see this. A "4" is almost as good but a "3" is borderline. The higher your score, the more benefits you get in college. Click here to find out what colleges accept in scores and classes.
Here are the AP courses that Merrillville High School offers:
- AP Art History
- AP Calculus (AB)
- AP Biology
- AP Chemistry
- AP English Language
- AP English Literature
- AP Macroeconomics
- AP Microeconomics
- AP US History
- AP Physics (Algebra based)
- AP Psychology
- AP Studio Art 2D
- AP Studio Art 3D
- AP US Government